Lilypie

Lilypie

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Caden!

My how babies have a mind of their own, even before they enter this world. My actual due date was June 24. After that had come and gone, my doctor decided it was best to induce me on June 29. However, Caden had other plans.

I actually started having contractions at 4:00am on Sunday June 28 and the contractions continued all day on Sunday. I didn't really think much about them because they weren't on any certain interval. Plus, since I had already passed my due date, I had talked myself into believing that I was going to have to be induced, that natural labor wasn't going to happen on its own. However, I will say that these contractions were much stronger than the ones I had experienced in the past month and a half.

Sunday night, I wasn't able to get any sleep because the contractions kept getting stronger and the intervals started getting shorter. But, I didn't want to head to the hospital quite yet because I felt more comfortable at home. At about 5:00am, I decided I couldn't stand it any longer. I started getting ready to head to the hospital and Jon and I actually left an hour earlier than we originally planned for the scheduled induction.

I have to say, the car ride to the hospital was the longest car ride ever! The contractions kept getting stronger and stronger, and my denial that I was actually in labor faded. I wanted Jon to be able to get himself some breakfast and coffee before we got to the hospital because I knew it was going to be a long day. I didn't realize that active labor could start so quickly. As soon as we stopped at the window to get his coffee at Starbuck's, the pain level skyrocketed and the contractions felt like they were happening one on top of the other. I'm sure the guy at the to-go window must have thought I was dying.

By the time we arrived at the hospital, and made it to the labor and delivery floor, the nurses ushered us directly to the room. They got me set up in the room very quickly and checked to see the progress I had made. I was already dialated to 5 cm! I couldn't believe it. They ordered an epidural right away, and within 10 min it was inserted and starting to work its magic. Finally, I was a happy camper.


The labor progressed fairly quickly. An hour after the epidural was started, I was at 6.5 cm. The rest of the day is kind of a blur to me. The next thing I know is the nurse wanted me to start pushing. What?! already! After three long hours of pushing, Caden finally joined us at 5:35 pm weighing 7 lbs 2.6 oz and measuring 20 in long.

Mommy meets her little girl for the first time.
Proud Daddy with his little girl.

This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done before, but it was all completely worth it!!! Holding my baby girl in my arms for the first time after wondering all these months what she was going to look like, is a moment I will cherish the rest of my life. I have never been more proud. I could not have done it without the coaching and praising of my wonderful husband. Jonathan, you were so encouraging on this day, our daughter's birthday! You helped me to find strength inside me that I didn't realize I had, but that you knew was in me. I love you! Our baby girl is finally here with us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

put up pictures, silly!!